Stuart Lubbock’s dad makes ‘final appeal’ on son’s death

The father of a man found dead in Michael Barrymore’s swimming pool 20 years ago has made a ‘final appeal’ for witnesses after being told he has terminal cancer.

Terry Lubbock, whose 31-year-old son Stuart was found in a swimming pool following a party at Mr Barrymore’s then home in Roydon, Essex, on March 31 2001, wants a fresh inquest and says his time is ‘running out’.

The appeal comes after a 50-year-old man arrested on suspicion of the murder and indecent assault was released under investigation by Essex Police.

The man, who has not been named, was arrested in Cheshire on March 17 and subsequently released on bail.

Mr Lubbock, 76, of Harlow, Essex, said on Monday that he wanted anyone with information to contact his lawyers.

“We would like old witnesses to come forward and tell the truth,” he said in a social media appeal.

“For me the clock is ticking and time is running out. This will be my final appeal.”

Mr Lubbock told journalists in February that he had terminal cancer and doctors had told him he had months to live.

At the turn of the year he had called for a new inquest.

Mr Lubbock said he believed information must have emerged which justified a new inquiry by a coroner.

A coroner recorded an open verdict after an inquest in 2002, and three years ago the then-attorney general, Jeremy Wright, refused to give Mr Lubbock the go-ahead to make an application to the High Court for a second inquest.

But Mr Lubbock says a fresh Essex Police appeal, which coincided with the broadcast of a Channel 4 documentary, Barrymore: The Body In The Pool, in February 2020, has changed the landscape.

Mr Lubbock says he would like police to tell an inquest jury why they believe that.

He says lawyers have yet to formally ask Attorney General Michael Ellis to give the go-ahead for a new inquest application to be made to the High Court.

No-one has been charged with any offence in relation to Stuart Lubbock’s death.

Mr Barrymore, now 68, was arrested in 2007 but never charged with any offence.

He subsequently sued Essex Police, and claimed a wrongful arrest had cost him about £2.5 million in lost earnings, but Court of Appeal judges concluded he should get nominal damages.

In March 2020, Mr Barrymore spoke to ITV’s Good Morning Britain programme and described the Channel 4 documentary as ‘vile and vicious’.

He said nobody who was at his house on the night of Stuart Lubbock’s death knew what happened.

Asked if he had anything fresh to offer the police, he replied: “I honestly wish I did.”

He said he had been ‘through 20 years of hell’.

Essex Police said the investigation continues.

Top stories from the CheshireLive newsletter

Here are the latest stories from the CheshireLive newsletter

Want to sign up to receive these stories straight to your inbox? It’s free and means you’ll never miss the most important Cheshire news of the day

You can sign up here

Not signed up but want to try it out?

You can read a preview of today’s newsletter here

Cheshire Live – Cheshire